G.P. “Bud” Peterson
Under his leadership Georgia Tech grew innovative collaborations and strategic partnerships locally; expanded its global reach and impact, with a focus on innovation; exceeded the capital campaign goal of $1.5 billion by 20%; and more than doubled the new research awards.
Joseph M. Pettit
Dr. Pettit's direction, the value of research contracts and grants received by Tech increased more than eightfold. A study by the Conference Board of Associated Research Councils recently ranked Georgia Tech's graduate computer science and chemical engineering programs as the most improved in the nation.
Edwin D. Harrison
Edwin Harrison was inaugurated as the sixth president of Georgia Tech in August 1957, his outgoing personality helped develop warm and trusting relationships with students, faculty, alumni, and the Atlanta community. His previous positions included Dean of Engineering at the University of Toledo and Assistant Dean at Virginia Polytechnic Institute.
Colonel Blake R. Van Leer
After World War II Van Leer returned to become the President of Georgia Tech. During his tenure the school, significantly expanded Georgia Tech, admitted women for the first time and began steps toward integration. Women being admitted to colleges and male dominated fields was a topic of debate in the 1950s.
Marion L. Brittain
Marion Luther Brittain Sr. was an American academic administrator and president of the Georgia Institute of Technology from 1922 to 1944. Born in Georgia and, aside from a brief stint at the University of Chicago for graduate school, spent most of his life serving the educational community there.
Kenneth G. Matheson
Kenneth G. Matheson was elected chairman of the faculty and acting president. During his administration, Matheson oversaw the school's transition from a trade school to a technological university. Matheson pioneered the bill that would eventually result in the establishment of the Georgia Tech Research Institute.
Lyman Hall was president of the Georgia School of Technology (Georgia Institute of Technology). Hall's administration introduced degrees in electrical engineering and civil engineering in December 1896, textile engineering in February 1899, and engineering chemistry in January 1901.
Isaac S. Hopkins
Hopkins' interest in technological development led him to be chosen as the president of the Georgia Institute of Technology, then called the Georgia School of Technology, in 1888. He was the first chair of the physics department where he also concurrently served as a professor in the School of Physics.
- Nathaniel Palmer Pratt (1922)
- Paul Weber (1956-1957)
- Vernon Crawford (1969)
- James. E. Boyd (1971-1972)
- Henry C. Bourne Jr. (1986-1987)
- Michael E. Thomas (1993-1994)
- Gary Schuster (2008-2009)