- Expanded campus, adding Skiles Classroom Building, the Nuclear Reactor, and six dormitories.
- Facilitated the racial integration of Georgia Tech, making it the first public institution of higher learning to do so peacefully, and without court order, in the Deep South.
- Facilitated, with football coach Bobby Dodd, Tech’s departure from the SEC.
- Created procedure dealing with competitive pay for faculty.
- Oversaw the construction of Physics, the Space Science and Technology Center, Chemical Engineering buildings, and the East Library, and seating additions to the football stadium.
- The School of Information and Computer Science, the first in the country, was established in 1963.