- First alumnus to become Tech president.
- Research expenditures increased from $212 million to $473 million.
- Georgia Tech received the 1999 Hesburgh Award, the nation's top recognition for support of undergraduate teaching and learning.
- Technology Square opened, expanding campus across the Downtown Connector and stimulating Midtown Atlanta growth
- Academic reach of Georgia Tech stretches across the state and around the world with campuses in Savannah, France, Ireland, Singapore, and China.
- Implemented Tech Promise, a scholarship that enables qualified Georgia residents whose families earn less than $33,300 per year to graduate debt-free.